What you should know about NETFLIX profile options for kids
How does Netflix decide the maturity rating on TV shows and movies?
Netflix gathers maturity ratings based on country and region. The ratings are set by a standards organization that determines whether or not the material is appropriate for children. If a TV show, movie, or other piece of content has not been rated by a known standards organization, Netflix will use its reasonable judgment to determine whether or not the material is appropriate, and assign a “Kids OK,” “Netflix Guidance (G),” or “Adult” rating.
- Kids OK: Content that we feel is appropriate for children 12 and under is added to a kid-friendly section that is available on the Netflix website and in the Netflix app on many devices.
- Netflix Guidance (G): Members should read reviews or pre-watch the TV show or movie to best determine its appropriateness for Little Kids, Older Kids, and Teens.
- Adult: Content appropriate for adults 18 and up.
- Unrated or Not rated: This film has not been officially reviewed by Netflix or a standards organization.
The television and movie ratings that usually fall under each Netflix maturity level vary by region:
This chart if for the US, click here to find your countries ratings. All other countries
|Little Kids||Older Kids||Teens||Adults|
|G||PG||PG-13, TV-14||R, NC-17, NR, UR|
|Little Kids||Older Kids||Teens||Adults|
|TV-Y, TV-G||TV-Y7, TV-Y7-FV, TV-PG||TV-14||TV-MA|
Here are the instructions for setting up parental controls from the Netflix website.
*You will only be able to do this on their full website or mobile website(only set a pin), and not at all through the app*
From Netflix “How do I set parental controls on my Netflix” Help Center
As the primary account holder, you have two options to control viewing on your account:
• Profile-level (soft controls): Set a maturity level for a particular profile to control the TV shows and movies available for that profile. You, the parent or guardian, ensure your child uses only the correct profile.
• Account-level (hard controls): Set a 4-digit PIN that must be entered to play any TV show or movie above a selected maturity level, on any profile. A PIN ensures your child does not watch content rated above your selected maturity level. (MY NOTE: This will prevent any users, without the code, from viewing the entire movie, but the thumbnail and the preview will still be seen.)
Profile-level: How to set the maturity level for an individual profile
1. Access the Your Account page from a web browser and select Manage Profiles.
2. Select the profile you’d like to edit.
3. Under Allowed TV shows and movies, select your desired maturity level.
o For Little Kids only – Watch TV shows and movies suitable for all ages.
o For Older Kids and below – Watch TV shows and movies suitable for older kids.
o For Teens and below – Watch TV shows and movies suitable for teens.
o All Maturity levels – Watch all TV shows and movies, including mature content.
Please note that the primary account holder’s profile can only be set to For Teens and below or All Maturity levels.
4. Select Save.
Note: It can take up to 8 hours for changes to parental controls to take effect on all your devices. To expedite this process, sign out of your Netflix account on the device you want to watch on, then sign back in. To read more of my notes, head over here.
Account-level: How to set the maturity level for the entire account using a PIN
You can set a PIN if you’d like to restrict certain maturity levels of content for your entire account.
Follow these steps to create or update your PIN settings. Please note that PINs are not supported on devices produced before 2013.
1. Access the Your Account page from a web browser.
2. Select the link for Parental controls in the Settings section.
3. Enter your Netflix account password on the screen.
4. Enter four numbers into the PIN field (no letters).
5. Set your PIN protection level from the following options:
o Little Kids
o Older Kids
Note: For definitions of the PIN protection levels, view maturity ratings for your country.
6. Select Save.